Saturday, April 1, 2017

#FlashbackFriday: Books I haven't finished

Hi there! If you're wondering why I'm posting a #FlashbackFriday on a Saturday, and you have every right to, listen to me: I had major internet problems yesterday so I couldn't post. Instead of waiting till next Friday, I decided to post it today. Is that okay with you? Well, too bad, cause I'm doing it anyway.

I'm currently reading Heartborn by Terry Maggert, and although it's taking me a while, I'm really enjoying the story. This made me remember of all the books I have dnfed (did not finish), and how the time it was taking me to finish them was recurrently the reason I put them down. Now don't worry, it won't happen with this one. I decided to share with you some of my dnfs and the reasons behind my decision. 



On this one I will only talk about standalone books. I will do a part two next Friday on series.

Let's get down to business!

1) Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

Well this is a controversial one, because every single person and their mother loved it. Not met. I'm not a big fan of contemporary anymore but I enjoy reading one every once in a while. I started this book when I was like 16 or 17 (when I was till a contemporary hardcore fan) and yet it didn't catch me at all. I remember having some major issues with Elanor as a character. I just thought she was really annoying and I can't stand that. If there were any other issues with it, I don't remember. It probably is a lovely story but I can't read a book if I don't care about its characters. I'm sorry, Rainbow. I loved Fangirl, though.

2) We All Looked Up by Tommy Wallach

I was really interested in the premise of this book. A love story with meteorites in it? I'm in. Yet after reading 6 or so chapters, it bored me to death. Absolutely nothing was happening! I was so disappointed and didn't want to dnf it, but in the end I didn't want to force me to read it. I might try again someday. Maybe I'll be in the mood if a meteorite actually threatens Earth. You never know.



3) Pariah by Bob Fingerman

Come on! Use your fingers, man (ha, see what I did there?) I'm still mad at this book. I picked it up on a rainy day, it was on my shelf staring at me. The power was out, and I thought: perfect time to read one of the books that have been on my shelf for forever. I wish I shouldn't have. This book is the reason I wrote my first review on goodreads. I was fuming. Let me explain what happened: I started this book expecting to find a lot of threatening zombies, kickass characters and action; plenty of it. After reading 3/4 of the book, I realized none of that was going to appear. The characters were more disgusting than the zombies and, apparently, the author forgot that there should be some kind of plot. The most memorable thing about it, as I said on my review, where the zombie drawings throughout the novel. I gave it 1 star, which is the worst rating I've ever given to anything.



4) The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling

I went into this book because 3 of my closest friends recommended it. Was I intimidated by the size? Yeah, a bit. Was I excited to read it? YEAH! My excitement, unfortunately, slowly decreased the more I read. Although I love the premise and how it's a representation of our world, I just couldn't get through with it. I guess I prefer my books with a little more action in them. It's a pity because I was halfway through. I might give it another shot in the future, mostly because my friends won't shut up about it.


5) Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Some people love classics, some hate them; I'm more in the middle. I'm not one of those who label all classics as boring, but this one... Oh, boy, it made me nap. Everything moves SO slow! I was lent this book by a friend with the warning that she couldn't finish it (one of the Casual Vacancy lovers.) I was determined, though. I was set to enjoy it, and then I just couldn't. It's not like I haven't read a classic before, okay? Don't insult me. 



Well, there they are, exposed for the world to judge me. I feel almost vulnerable now. ALMOST.



See you on the next one!

Do you keep track of the books you've dnfed? Did you hate Pariah too? Let me know, it would make me really happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment