Monday, April 17, 2017

Book to Movie Monday: 13 Reasons Why

Book to Movie #4

Title: 13 Reasons Why
Author: Jay Asher
Publication Date: October 18th 2007

Summary from Goodreads:

You can't stop the future.
You can't rewind the past.
The only way to learn the secret . . . is to press play.

Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a strange package with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers several cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker--his classmate and crush--who committed suicide two weeks earlier. Hannah's voice tells him that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out why. 


Clay spends the night crisscrossing his town with Hannah as his guide. He becomes a firsthand witness to Hannah's pain, and as he follows Hannah's recorded words throughout his town, what he discovers changes his life forever.

Book to Movie Monday is where I write about books that are being, have been or I would like to see adapted. 

This is a book I haven't read and I don't think I will in the future. I have heard many mixed reviews for it, and I'm not sure if it's my type of book. As you may know, a Netflix original tv adaptation has been released at the end of March, and that's what we're discussing today.

The Show

As a person who loves watching Netflix Original series, I know by now that they're usually amazing. Well, this one is not the exception.



It was released on March the 31st and became an instant hit. Not only for those who read the book, but also for everyone else, like me. 

This has 13 1-hour long episodes that represent each tape that Hannah Baker recorded. Each episode is dedicated to one character in particular, which in my opinion makes it super interesting.


You may ask: What's so special about it? Let me tell you. This book, and show, deals with some mayor topics like suicide, rape, abuse and depression. It was about time that someone talked about them in a serious way. This show did it. It showcases perfectly what most teenagers have to go through in high-school.



It's composed by a mostly unknown cast. We've only seen a couple of them in other works. I think that's a wonderful idea, because it attracts the attention for it's content and not for a name. The show still got enough publicity due to Selena Gomez, the producer.

This is not only for teens to watch, though. Everyone should be aware of the signs to be able to prevent it from happening. 

I really hope this makes people open their eyes and accept that these things happen. 



No spoilers please, I'm on episode 11.

I bet you have all watched it, but if not, do it. What did you think? Should I read the book? Let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment