Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Top 5 Wednesday

Hello my friends! I'm back, yet another time, with Top 5 Wednesday, as the title may suggest. This week's topic is quite a fun one: Books That Would Make Good Video Games. Isn't that fantastic?


I'm not much of a gamer, but I definitely enjoy them. I have some friends who are extremely dedicated to them, though. My favorite is definitely The Sims, cause, you know, I enjoybeing a billionaire and killing off my sims when I get bored. I'm not a psycho, I swear. That's what a psycho would say, funny. I've played all 4 of the sims released so far and I've also played some survival games like The Long Dark. I have played one of the Harry Potter pc games, though I can't remember which one. I used to play World of Warcraft and GTA when I was a bit younger and I definitely played the Hannah Montana movie game up until I was like 15. It's a weird selection, I admit it. 


Anyway, I may not be a pro, but I can definitely recognize some books with elements that could be transformed into good games. Let's get into it!

1) The Secret Circle by L.J. Smith

Did I enjoy the books? No. But I loved the tv show (can't believe it got cancelled.) I think this could be a good aventure game with two playing modes: story mode, and online freeplay (like gta.) I love games with magic involved. The players could be sorted or choose an element to manipulate and then go on to play in the story mode or create a character in the online mode.

The circle's power has lured her home Forced to move from sunny California to gloomy New England, Cassie longs for her old life. Even so, she feels a strange kinship to a terrifying group of teens who seem to rule her school. Initiated into the coven of witches that's controlled New Salem for hundreds of years, she's drawn into the Secret Circle, a thrill that's both intoxicating and deadly. But when she falls for the mysterious and intriguing Adam, Cassie must choose whether to resist temptation or risk dark forces to get what she wants—even if it means that one wrong move could ultimately destroy her. 

2) Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake

Again, this isn't one of my all-time favorite books, as I've said in my review, but, the story could make a fantastic game. I would design it as a story mode game in which you have to switch between the 3 sisters during the story, just like with the book. I think the world in this books is fantastic and could look extremely beautiful in a game. The fact that you can switch sisters also means you can also get to play with each of their specialties (naturalism, poisoning, elements.)

In every generation on the island of Fennbirn, a set of triplets is born—three queens, all equal heirs to the crown and each possessor of a coveted magic. Mirabella is a fierce elemental, able to spark hungry flames or vicious storms at the snap of her fingers. Katharine is a poisoner, one who can ingest the deadliest poisons without so much as a stomachache. Arsinoe, a naturalist, is said to have the ability to bloom the reddest rose and control the fiercest of lions.
But becoming the Queen Crowned isn’t solely a matter of royal birth. Each sister has to fight for it. And it’s not just a game of win or lose…it’s life or death. The night the sisters turn sixteen, the battle begins.
The last queen standing gets the crown.

3) Tomorrow When the War Began by John Marsden

I mentioned this saga in my Underrated Series post, and I'm bringing it up again because it's that good. At least, in my opinion. Partially because I love survival books, but also because they're really good. Have I already stated that they're good? Okay. I know there are plenty of survival games, but I've never seen a game in which a group of teenagers have to rescue their families from a group of invaders. Are there any games like that? Cause I'm down for it. Again, this should be played as a story mode in which you have to gather provisions from the town without getting caught and, well, surviving while trying to get their town back. It sounds great, right?

When Ellie and her friends return from a camping trip in the Australian bush, they find things hideously wrong — their families are gone. Gradually they begin to comprehend that their country has been invaded and everyone in their town has been taken prisoner. As the reality of the situation hits them, they must make a decision — run and hide, give themselves up and be with their families, or fight back.




4) The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson

This book has a great plot, however, I don't think it's game material. Why am I including it here you might ask? Well, even though the story isn't fitting, the concept and the way it's written is fantastic and could make a very original game. I've talked about this one in a previous post but I can't remember which. Imagine you are escaping, and then, word comes that the king of the land has sent assassins to kill you. You also find out that there are good people on their way to help you, but you don't know who any of them are. You don't know their faces or their names, so you don't know who to trust. I would love to see this as a concept in a game in which you have to choose wisely who you talk to and who you accept missions for. 

A princess must find her place in a reborn world.
She flees on her wedding day.
She steals ancient documents from the Chancellor's secret collection.
She is pursued by bounty hunters sent by her own father.
She is Princess Lia, seventeen, First Daughter of the House of Morrighan.
The Kingdom of Morrighan is steeped in tradition and the stories of a bygone world, but some traditions Lia can't abide. Like having to marry someone she's never met to secure a political alliance.
Fed up and ready for a new life, Lia flees to a distant village on the morning of her wedding. She settles in among the common folk, intrigued when two mysterious and handsome strangers arrive—and unaware that one is the jilted prince and the other an assassin sent to kill her. Deceptions swirl and Lia finds herself on the brink of unlocking perilous secrets—secrets that may unravel her world—even as she feels herself falling in love.

5) Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

I love the story and the characters int his book, so that is probably the reason why I'm including it. This could become a story mode game in which you have a big mission (the heist) and secondary missions to accomplish. For different missions you would have to play with the different characters from the story. I would also like the game to have an option once you finish the story to continue playing in the world as a merchant, thief, pirate or whatever position and any part of the world you want. 

Criminal prodigy Kaz Brekker has been offered wealth beyond his wildest dreams. But to claim it, he'll have to pull off a seemingly impossible heist:
Break into the notorious Ice Court
(a military stronghold that has never been breached)
Retrieve a hostage
(who could unleash magical havoc on the world)
Survive long enough to collect his reward
(and spend it)
Kaz needs a crew desperate enough to take on this suicide mission and dangerous enough to get the job done - and he knows exactly who: six of the deadliest outcasts the city has to offer. Together, they just might be unstoppable - if they don't kill each other first. 

I would also like to start a petition to have a Mortal Instruments game... since we already see the saga adapted to so many platforms, why not a game? I would accept anything, literally. I only have one petition, for the player to be able to choose in which time era to have their character live in. I would love to be a shadowhunter in the Clockwork Prince/Princess/Angel period. 



Okay! That was sooo much fun. 
See you on the next one!

Do you have any game suggestions for me to try out? What books would you pick to be made into a game? Let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment