Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Graphic Novel Review: Lady Mechanika #0 by Joe Benítez


Lady Mechanika #0 by Joe Benítez     

Release day: October 2015
Publisher: Aspen
Pages: 25
Source: free on Amazon
Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars

Summary                                                


The mysteries surrounding private investigator LADY MECHANIKA and her origin begin to unfold as she heads to a rundown city known as Satan's Alley. Located on the lower eastside, it is an area of town under siege by the presence of a murderous creature of unknown origin. While a weapons manufacturer has issued a reward for the unknown slayer, drawing a crowd of bounty hunters looking to cash in, Lady Mechanika's purpose is far more personal - information that could lead to the truth about her creation.

Review                                                                                      

Action-packed and off to a fantastic start

I know what you're thinking, and no, I'm not a fortuneteller: Why are you writing a review of a 25 paged issue? Well, first of all, it's MY blog. Second of all, it's like REALLY good. Third of all, it's available for free on Amazon! Yup, you're welcome. See? I told you I knew what you were thinking. 


I dived into this with high expectations due to it's many great reviews and it didn't disappoint. I'm barely dipping my toes into the world of graphic novels, but man, I'm doing great so far. 

We follow the story of a pirate-esque looking woman with mechanical body parts (I guess she's a cyborg then?) who is trying to figure out her past. We don't get much info out of this short issue; if anything, it raises a lot of questions and makes us crave more. 

Just in case 💕

Story: There's a lot of intrigue that definitely hooks the reader into getting the next issue. I found the story very interesting with just enough characters so as to not be confusing. Even though I understand that this is short for a reason, it did feel a little rushed. 

Artwork: I really really dig this type of dark illustration, and I definitely dig the steampunk theme. Don't you think the color palette goes perfectly with the whole theme? Cause I do. I just love the overall style and how Lady Mechanika manages to be girly yet super badass.

This is what I think happens every time Lady Machanika is in front of a mirror 👆


Overall                                                                                      

I think it's a solid starter point and I'll definitely have to check out the rest of Joe's work.

Rating                                                                                       



4.5 out of 5 stars


Have you checked the rest of Lady Mechanika out? Is it as great as issue #0? Let me know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment