Saturday, March 11, 2017

Book Recommendation: Fantasy

Why do people read books? Have you ever wondered about it? Does this sound like an infomercial? 


I've been a dedicated reader since I was a child. I owe it to my mom, who would buy me a box full of books every month, literally. As I grew older, and life became more complicated, books were my source of escape. I would sit all day in my room, alone, and submerge into the lives of people I didn't know. One of the best genres to do so is fantasy, where worlds are completely different from our own; worlds filled with mythological creatures and magic. So today, I decided I would recommend some of my favorite fantasy books. 

Bare in mind that I'm trying to avoid the popular fantasy series, okay? So don't get angry, Potterheads.

I'm a very organized person, or at least I like to pretend like I am. So I'm going to divide it into sections.

High-Fantasy

Any Sarah J Maas book. Go to your nearest bookstore, pick a SJM book (if you haven't already) and read it. You won't regret it.
Get lost in these worlds filled with strong, hilarious and very morally-conflicted characters. Oh, and there are some highly attractive faes in there too. 

A Court of Thorns and Roses is a Beauty and the Beast retelling. We follow Feyre, a 19-year-old huntress, who after killing a white wolf, is taken prisoner to a world of faes she's never seen before.
I didn't particularly love this book, though I was surprised at how much stuff happened in it. You'll definitely want to check book 2 (💜) but, trust me on this one, wait till book 3 is out.


Paranormal

When people say paranormal, most of us imagine werewolves and vampires (team Jacob btw). Well, guess what? There's a whole world out there of paranormal books without either. I only have one for you today, though.


I wouldn't know how to describe this book other than to say that it's amazing. So here's a short part of the premise: “There are only two reasons a non-seer would see a spirit on St. Mark’s Eve,” Neeve said. “Either you’re his true love . . . or you killed him.” Every year, Blue Sargent stands next to her clairvoyant mother as the soon-to-be dead walk past. Blue herself never sees them—not until this year, when a boy emerges from the dark and speaks directly to her. This is book 1 of the Raven Cycle series.


This book has the more typical elements of paranormal novels, but I can assure you that you won't get bored. This is a 6-book-series that follows our main character Kylie Galen who, after a party gone wrong, is sent to a summer camp for troubled teens. It turns out, the kids are definitely troubled, but not in the way you'd think. I remember when I read these; devoured might be a better term.



Sci-fi

I have a curse
I have a gift

I am a monster
I'm more than human

My touch is lethal
My touch is power

I am their weapon
I will fight back

Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

Go ahead and tell me that it's not awesome. You can't, can you? I'd say that this is more of a dystopian, but it's debatable. All you need to know's that it's fantastic and so are the other 2 books.

Romance

Ironically, Delirium takes place in a world where love is considered a disease. But what'll happen when with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena, our main character, meets enigmatic Alex? Nothing too dramatic, right?
While I LOVED the first book, the second one bored me to death and couldn't get past the first 30 pages.

Mythological

This book is not only a pretty cover, it's also a great take on the Persephone and Hades myth. We follow Kate, a teenager who moves back to her old town as her mother's last wish. There, she meets the only person who might be able to help her mother, but not without something in return.

Yup, perfect description.

Magic

I've never read this trilogy, but my friends keep recommending it. It's the "Harry Potter for adults" apparently, not that there's anything wrong with reading HP in your twenties (me).

Like everyone else, precocious high school senior Quentin Coldwater assumes that magic isn't real, until he finds himself admitted to a very secretive and exclusive college of magic in upstate New York. After graduation, he and his friends stumble upon a secret that sets them on a remarkable journey that may just fulfill Quentin's yearning. But their journey turns out to be darker and more dangerous than they'd imagined.

Those are all my recommendations for today, folks. Happy reading!

Have you read any of these books? Is there any hidden fantasy gem I should read? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment