Monday, March 20, 2017

Book to Movie Monday #3: The 5th Wave


Book to Movie #3                                  

Title: The 5th Wave 
Author: Rick Yancey
Publication Date: May 7th 2013

Summary from Goodreads:

Now, it's the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth's last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie's only hope for rescuing her brother-or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up.

Book to Movie Monday is where I write about books that are being, have been or I would like to see adapted. 

The 5th Wave is probably my all-time favorite trilogy (even though I haven't read the third one yet.) A lot of people loved the first book and then didn't really like the second one. Well, it's the other way around for me... I loved the action in the first book and loved even more the second one. While some found it boring, I though it was really interesting because it was a book to think. What I enjoyed most, was the fact that after reading the second book, I still had no clue of what was going on! I haven't read the third one yet, so I still don't know.

The movie                                                                             

Just like with the books, there are a lot of mixed reviews for the movie. And while it brings some good memories, because I saw it with friends on my birthday, I did have some problems with it. 

I though the casting was fine, no complaints. I mean, sure, there are better actors out there, but these ones weren't bad. I especially liked Maika Monroe, who played Ringer. If you look at a picture of her in real life you'd think it's a totally different person. She did a great job with her character. 

Exactly

Like in any teen movie, we have an eye candy: Alex Roe. He plays Evan Walker, and he did a fine job. I may be biased though... his face does things to me.



My ovaries were non-existent by then

They did a pretty good job of sticking to the book, but somehow it still ended up looking cheesy. The movie version lost some of the seriousness that the scenes had in the books. In the book you get to see (or read) the thoughts behind every decision the characters take. It was fascinating to see the characters mature (in a rushed way) due to the situation. I couldn't really see this in the movie, which I think is a pity.

On the bright side, I though the special effects were pretty good! So props to all the people involved.

To sum up                                                                             

I believe that I would have loved the movie had I not read the book. That's what happened with a lot of people. My friends and I, who did read the book, didn't enjoy it as much. I still watch it whenever it is on tv. And I definitely would watch a sequel if they ever decided to make one. Just throwing it out there.

This is me signing out! Bye.

Did you enjoy the books as much as I did? Does Alex's face affect your brain too? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment